Click on photo for larger image.
US129 in North Carolina was designated in 1934 as an addition to US19 to Topton. US129 from Topton to the Tennessee State Line then replaced NC108.
US129 today skirts the old downtown Main Street on the Rodney Orr Bypass named for a local stock car driver killed in 1994 in a Daytona 500 practice run. This bypass was created in 1962. The original US129 coming into town northbound took a sharp left, climbing a hill up to the courthouse and then took a sharp right heading downhill on Main Street. It then crossed a small bridge onto today's Old Highway 129 where the 129 Grill and Texaco Station was located.
It then followed just to the east of Talula Creek before merging with today's US129 for 2.75 miles. It then jogged easterly on today's east Buffalo cir loopin around the Santeetlah Lake prong and then connecting to today's Pine Ridge Road and passing the entrance to Thunderbird Resort and Santeetlah Dam. It then followed present day US129 more or less to the State Line.